Monday, August 24, 2009

Monday Night Headlines

Very eventful day for the site. I had the opportunity to visit on the air with Travis Turner and Ed Chapman on the Travis Turner Sports Show on ESPN Radio out of Murray. We discussed the current situation surrounding the Memphis Basketball program and their former coach, John Calipari. I think we were all in agreement that Memphis was given a raw deal. Apparently, we're in good company, as Dick Vitale has finally aired his two-cents in regard to the NCAA's ruling, and he's not a fan of it either. Meanwhile, CBS sports writers, Greg Doyel and Gary Parrish have voiced their confusion as to why Memphis was penalized while a similar situation involving Duke and Corey Maggette went unchecked. While there are still plenty of naysayers out there, it is nice to see the media, on both the local and national level, voice some support for Cal and his former program at Memphis. As for getting a little airtime, I certainly appreciate the opportunity and look forward to chatting about UK sports with Travis in the future. Also worth noting, we're very thankful for Michael Toon publishing some information about our site in upcoming issues of his newspaper, The Carlisle Weekly. Though we hope our site becomes a place for all of BigBlueNation to be a part of, we are very appreciative for the opportunity to partner with our local media so that we can provide the very best coverage of UK sports as possible.

In some news of the weird, Bill Murray's son Luke is now an assistant at Arizona. It just seems odd to me, for some reason, that Peter Venkman's son would be a coach at a major college basketball program. I mean, he's got a better job than Isaiah Thomas (Florida International) or former UK player and coach Winston Bennett (Mid-Continent University). Don't get me wrong, maybe he deserves it; I'm not familiar with his career, so I wouldn't know. Hey, if nothing else, I'd say Arizona has an inside track on getting the ghosts out of the Arizona locker room.

Okay, just allow me to say that the NFL headlines have to get more interesting than Michael Vick drinking a vodka tonic at the airport, a retelling of Plaxico's boneheaded mistake that resulted in shooting himself in the leg, or why Brett Favre only threw the ball four times in his first game in a Vikings uniform. If not, it's going to be a long and redundant season for the National Football League.

And hey, I gotta give a shout out to my St. Louis Cardinals. John Smoltz looked pretty darn good yesterday, which only makes a great team that much more solid. I'd say they're a safe pick to be in the NLCS, and perhaps even the World Series.

More tomorrow... good night, BigBlueNation, and good luck.

2 comments:

  1. who ya gonna call?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey I've been to the Arizona locker room. I'd say they have more than just ghosts in there

    ReplyDelete