Sunday, February 21, 2010

Football Game/Wrestling Match Post Game Wrap

Just now getting in from the game. As I am sure you could tell from your Lazy-Boy, it was a crazy atmosphere. I have to tip my cap to the Vandy crowd, and I was surprised how nice Memorial Gymnasium was once I got inside. Was still quirky, but not in the same (bad) way that Indiana's Assembly Hall is, and was a pretty good place to watch a game. I would say the crowd was easily 10% Blue, and possibly even been a little more even. It didn't affect Vandy's home court advantage, but it did make for an interesting crowd dynamic. There were a couple moments where UK fans got a surprisingly loud chant going, only to have it squashed out by the hometown fans.

Here are a few notes from the game today:

* Starting out, we didn't have internet access at the game. Planned on live blogging it, but didn't work out. Frustrating, but that is just how things go. Might have to invest in an internet card or something. Oh well.

* As you saw the game was incredibly physical. I am a little surprised we only got one technical. Just saw the replay of Bledsoe's, and he got his money worth. Was hard to tell from my vantage point what exactly happened. Cal said he had 25 text messages after the game telling him that was the best football game they'd seen in awhile. Get it?

* Loved Calipari's honesty about the timeout situation. Was a dumb decision, but oh well. Cal can step up his game just like anybody else on the team, and he will be better next time in that spot. You can kind of understand, at least a little bit, because sometimes our inexperience could come back to bite us in that kind of situation. If that is the worst decision he makes all year, I think we will be fine. The team being so young makes the learning curve steep for the players on the court, but also the same goes for Calipari. He is still learning about this team, and it is crazy to think that as good as we have been, we still have room to grow.

* After the game, I accidentally got in the way of Stallings while he was walking into the interview room. He didn't look happy. I don't really think me being in the way was the source of his frustrations; was probably more game related. Looked like he just wanted to punch me in the face though. Probably should have John Wall danced it right then and there, but decided instead to just get out of his way. He is a large man, and I am pretty sure he might double as the professional wrestler The Revolting Blob, of Billy Madison fame.

Was interesting that Stallings interview room was barren, while Cal's had around 40 people. They were held in separate rooms, and I am pretty sure the room Stallings went into was just a closet where they video taped him screaming until he passed out. Hope that makes it to Youtube.

* I can understand why Wall gets the recognition he does. It just comes with the territory when you are the unquestioned #1 pick. But I have to agree with the crowd that is slightly annoyed how the media almost lazily makes him out to be everything to the team. I just got home and saw that the ESPN ticker talked about Wall's block in the end of the game. I am not annoyed that Wall gets his much deserved due, but I do think more could be said about his teammates.Wall is the man on this team, and he deserves to be the headliner, but we are so much more than a one man team. There isn't one, much less two big men better than Patterson and Cousins in all of college basketball. To our credit, our team has shown no signs of letting the attention paid to Wall affect chemistry, and Wall probably is a big reason why. He seems to me to be like Kevin Durant and LeBron James in that he is a star, but his teammates absolutely love him.

That's all for now, should have more from Mike tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. Great stuff Austin,
    I would of loved to be there tonight, it just seemed like a great atmosphere on ESPN. As for Stallings, I think of him as more of Captain Insano. If he grows a beard they could pass for twins.

    ReplyDelete