Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Coach Cal expecting good news this week?

Here's my thoughts for the day...

I was about to write an article about recruiting and social networking when I noticed that Matt Jones had already made some valid points on the subject today at KSR. It is a serious situation, but I'm not sure how the NCAA can do anything about it. It would take more manpower and time to try sort out who's talking to who, and what violations are actually occurring then what the NCAA is probably willing to offer. And who can blame them? I mean they need all their extra time devoted to screwing up March Madness, while ignoring the problems with the BCS, but I digress. I am too lazy to throw up a link, but you can head over to KSR to read Jones' take on the effects it has on recruiting. I pretty much agreed with what he said.

On the flip side of the coin, one thing that has changed positively for recruiting is that fans now have more access to what's going on then ever before. I remember waiting anxiously for our family's copy of the print version of Cat's Pause to come in the mail so I could get the latest scoop, and then I remember reading Wildcat Lair and other early websites to pick up any recruiting nugget I could too. Now there is a wealth of information out there that anyone that has internet access can receive via Twitter or Facebook, literally seconds after the story breaks. So while Jones is right that social networking has changed recruiting negatively in some regards, the flow of information about recruiting has never been better. I guess we have to take the good with the bad.

Speaking of social networking, one of my favorite sites is Lexy. I don't have time to download a lot of podcasts or read everything online, but I can free up two or three minutes to listen to an "audio blast" from Coach Cal. On the latest cast, Cal says he hopes to hear some good news this week on the recruiting trail. The last time he expected good news, he just happened to lock down two No. 1 recruits in about an hour. I am not going to pretend to know who he is talking about, but he mentions replacing 70 points from last season's team, so I would expect he's talking about finishing out the 2010 class. Terrance Jones? C.J Leslie? Gomez? As Cal said, I guess we'll see soon.

As always, stay tuned right here at BBNR for the latest. We'll have more later.

No comments:

Post a Comment