Thursday, July 22, 2010

Cal says "On Second Thought..."

Gomez here...

Coach Cal was supposed to be having a fundraiser at his home on August 11 for the re-election campaign for Gov. Steve Beshear. However, after news broke of the $1,000 a head party, Cal released this statement cancelling the event on his Facebook page...

"I hope by now you all realize that I don't take my position as your basketball coach lightly. I know how politically charged this state is and I recognize that the Big Blue Nation comes from both sides of the aisle. I appreciate every elected official who supports the University of Kentucky, regardless of party. That said the Governor's event planned for August 11 - along with other charitable functions scheduled for our home - have been canceled after realizing the full plate of both professional and pressing, personal matters I will be tending to in the next couple of months. Ellen and I do hope this discussion will lead you to exercise your right to vote in the upcoming elections."

Interesting. Or maybe not. I still think Cal is a Republican. Or maybe he's just playing his cards close to his chest just in case Richie Farmer runs for the office. That could put him and his family in an odd spot, as Farmer will certainly pull in a huge number of the Big Blue Nation.

More later...

No comments:

Post a Comment