Wednesday, January 27, 2010

We're okay... really!

Today, I am feeling a bit like Frustrated Feline. My heart is heavy, and exhaustion has set in as a result of a sleepless night. Just kidding!

Alright, we’re down, but we’re not out. Luckily, I was captain of the cheerleading squad in high school, so this type of situation is sort of my specialty. I’m not worried though, because it is like I said in one of my previous columns, UK fans are loyal through good times and bad. This loss does not define who our team is in the world of basketball. It is how they deal with the loss that determines their character as a team. My heart tells me they will return to the court with an attitude of determination. What doesn’t kill you will only make you stronger!

During last night’s fiasco, I will have to admit that the actual loss was really not my biggest concern. You see, it seems as though the media has decided that our team consists of one player. John Wall, no doubt, has talent and has become a crowd favorite. However, each player on this team contributes in a particular way. Their strengths make up for another’s weaknesses. During the game, the commentators made several comments that sounded something like, “Can John Wall lead the Cats to a victory,” or “John Wall better get his team to do this or that.” I love John Wall as much as the next person, and there are several times throughout the season that his skills have amazed me. However, I am 100% certain that the team is always introduced on the court as the “Kentucky Wildcats,” not “John Wall and the Kentucky Wildcats.”

The very moment that this stops being a team effort, is the moment that the magic of this season will disappear. By no means am I assuming that these thoughts are John Wall’s, but I know that all the hype can eventually start to invade your mind. This team is very unique. Their chemistry has caught the eyes of millions across this country. They play with poise, grace, and unselfishness, and as long as we continue to play that way, we'll be fine.

We as Cats fans may feel wounded this morning. The cuts could possibly even be deep, but we still bleed BLUE! Just remember, that while being ranked number one was an unforgettable feeling and an accomplishment, it’s the last team standing in March that will never be forgotten. Get your game-face on and keep your eye on the prize, guys!

Love you…Go Big Blue!

Fancy
Feline

1 comment:

  1. They are both going to make a lot of money... I think Wall is going to be the better player, but I do think Cousins has All Star potential as well....

    I can understand frustration with the idea that Wall might overshadow our many other talented players. I don't think it is something Wall seeks out, but it is there nonetheless. We need for Patterson to be the MAN and go into beast mode more often because Cousins and Wall are talented enough to get their own no matter what.

    ReplyDelete