Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Fancy Thoughts...

When I watch a ballgame, especially a UK ballgame, I am a yeller and a screamer. Veins pop out of my neck, my face turns red, and I will beat the palms of my hands together to make a loud clapping noise. Honestly, I don’t realize how intense I am until out of the corner of my eye, I catch my three-year old being interrupted from his imaginative superhero session because he has been distracted by this vicious person he normally calls “Mommy.”

There are times, however, when this type of behavior is not permitted simply because of the surrounding environment. During the Vandy game, I watched the last half in a restaurant, and let’s just say there were several weird looks, all of which, I assume where directed at questioning my sanity.

Anyway, what a humdinger! Both teams fought until the bitter end, but the best team came out on top! It was a challenging game for our Cats, but what doesn’t kill them only makes them stronger, right?

Now, we here at BBNR would like to challenge our readers. Each year, our men in blue are donned with a name that best characterizes their team. Let’s see, there has been the ‘Comeback Cats’ and ‘The Unforgettables.” So, we think that its time for the faithful fans to start thinking of a label that will summarize the first season of the Calipari era.

After Saturday night’s victory, I was listening to the post show on the way home. Of course, they talked with Coach Cal, but then they had a special guest. It was an elderly woman that proclaimed to have bled blue for the 86 years of her life. “I am 86 years old, and I nearly had a heart attack during this game,” was her statement. She went on to say that she thought it would be appropriate to call our guys the ‘Heart Attack Cats.’ Her son, who is a cardiologist, suggested ‘Cardiac Cats,’ in keeping with the heart theme. After much deliberation between the two of them, they came up with ‘Killer Kittens.’

In their mind, they thought this was a perfect fit because it not only keyed in on their ferocity, but also their youth. It is obvious that this team plays with a great amount of intensity. However, at the end of the day, they are a very young team, hence the word ‘kitten’.

With that said, we want to challenge our readers to pick their brains. Think about what these guys have accomplished this season, and send the name you think best describes them to bigbluenation@wk.net or leave it in the comments section. Our staff will then select the top three choices and set up a poll for our reader’s to vote on our site.

This is just for fun, so we hope you'll get involved! Let’s hear it Kentucky fans!

Love you….GO BIG BLUE!
Fancy Feline

3 comments:

  1. Good idea Fancy! I am going to think about this one, and hopefully so will some others.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the jury is still out, and it might be a while before we know what a good name will be. However, I'll keep thinking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I heard that post game call the other night and I too thought about a good name for this team. It's really tough to call. You know the best names, "Comback Cats, Untouchables, Unforgetables, etc" came after the season was over. Maybe an obvious name will arise in April.

    ReplyDelete