Saturday, March 27, 2010

Elite 8 predictions...

The Elite 8 is set and action resumes later today when Butler and Kansas State tip off, followed by Kentucky and West Virginia. Tomorrow, Tennessee and Michigan State play first and then Duke and Baylor will round out the last game of the fourth round.

I'm not sure anyone on the planet predicted that these 8 teams would be remaining at this point in the tournament, but they are, so now its time to start making predictions. In honor of the elite 8, we're breaking out the magic 8 ball to help with the process.

Game one: Butler vs. Kansas State
After Butler struggled with Murray State in the second round and Syracuse just plain demolished Gonzaga, I didn't think there's was much of a chance the Bulldogs would have an answer for the Orange in the Sweet 16. And I guess that's a perfect example of how difficult it is to predict these games. Still, in this game I don't see Butler being able to stop the guard tandem of Pullen and Clemente or the inside play of Kelly and Samuels. I predict a comfortable win by the Wildcats in game 1 today. I asked the 8 ball if I was right and it said "Signs point to yes." Okay, me and the spirits are in sync so far. Cool.

Game two: West Virginia vs. Kentucky
For some reason, I was more concerned about the Cornell game than I was this one. Maybe it was just the hype of the media making Cornell out to be a team of destiny, but there was just something I felt uneasy about. Of course, about halfway through the first half, that uneasiness lifted and the Wildcats put Cornell in their rightful place. Tonight, Kentucky will have their hands full, but I really think they'll get the job done in a game that won't be that close down the stretch. West Virginia is playing without their starting point guard, Truck Bryant, who averaged 10 points and 3 assists this season. While Butler is their true bread and butter, its hard to play without your quarterback, especially when John Wall is on the other team. Kentucky by 11. Magic 8 ball says "Outlook good." 2 for 2 baby. I'm on a roll.

Game three: Tennessee and Michigan State
If Tennessee can beat Ohio State, they can beat Michigan State, especially since the Spartans are playing without Lucas. The Vols have been impressive since they received that humbling beat down from Kentucky in the SEC tournament, and I think that continues over tomorrow against MSU. I say Tennessee by 5. Magic 8 ball says "Cannot predict now." Uh oh, this one is still in question, I guess, because the spirit of the magic 8 ball is not exactly agreeing with me. Oh well, what does this silly piece of plastic really know anyway? Yikes... a picture just fell off the wall and a fire started by itself in the fireplace. I better be careful with this last one. I don't want another remake of the Amityville Horror going on in living room or anything.

Game four: Baylor and Duke
I really hate predicting Duke to win because it almost feels like I'm rooting for them, which would never (ever, ever, ever) happen. Still, I really think the Blue Devils will win this game going away, and we'll have an epic Kentucky-Duke match-up in the Final Four. While I don't want any good fortune to come the Blue Devils way, I have to say that a UK-Duke game in the Final Four really intrigues me, and I think we'd kill em. The 8 ball says "Without a doubt" and this silly piece of plastic really knows his stuff!

So there ya have it folks. Make your predictions below...

No comments:

Post a Comment