Tuesday, May 11, 2010

What about those Cats?

Next year's roster of Wildcats is finally taking shape, and so far, it doesn't look too shabby. Sure, gone to the NBA are five of Kentucky's top players, and yes, three senior leaders have graduated, but we'd be remissed to overlook the solid players that still remain on the UK roster(Miller, Liggins, Dodson, Hood, Harrellson) or the stellar recruiting class that will join them (Knight, Kanter, Lamb, Poole, Polson). I know, it's cliched and silly, but it's still true... Kentucky doesn't rebuild; we reload.

So, as the reloading is nearly complete (we're still waiting to see if Cal can land another PF), I thought it would be nice to ask a few questions about next year's team and then answer them ourselves. Of course, if you disagree, you can always share your own two cents in the comments section...

Q.) CNNSI has UK 12th for next season? Is that too high, too low, or just right?

A.)
Austin: I think that's a little too high right now. JLee: I agree, definitely a Top 20 team, but we have 9 scholarship players and only one returning starter. Michael: I think that's fair right now. I mean we have a very solid class coming in and Miller and Liggins are a pretty good duo, as well. Plus, we have the best coach at handling turnover and roster churn. Gomez: I think 12 is about right. Think about where we were last year after Clyde left, and how we rebounded to a top 5 team. If you think about it from that point of view, 12 might be too low.

Q.) Who will Kentucky's best returning player be?

A.)
Austin: Miller. JLee: Darius, no question. I expect a big, break out season from him. Michael: Liggins. Gomez: Liggins showed signs of being a clutch player this year. We'll need more of that for sure, and I think he'll deliver.

Q.) Who will be the best newcomer?

A.) Austin:
Kanter JLee: Kanter Michael: Kanter Gomez: Knight Chris: Lamb

Q.) Do we beat UNC next season?

A.) Austin:
Yes, as long as Kanter is eligible. They'll be as green as us with a weak interior. Kanter should dominate. JLee: It'll be close but advantage home team. Michael: That's a hard prediction to make this early, but I'm going to say yes, but really only because I'm a Kentucky homer. Gomez: We'll win by 30 points; UNC sucks. Seriously though, I have no idea. It's freakin' May. Chris: Carolina wins at home in a close one.

Q.) How will Kentucky do overall next season?

A.) Austin:
My realistic hope is for a solid and fun season next year, but I really have no expectations on our wins and losses. We're going to see guys like Poole, Liggins, Miller, Hood, Dodson and Lamb running the dribble drive, and I think we're really going to see the system ingrained next season. JLee: Like I said before, we're a top 20 team, but we might be a player or two short from being in the running for a championship. Of course, if we could get Jones or another top recruit, we might be right there in the mix. Michael: I think we're going to be better than most people expect. I really think by the end of the season, we're going to be right there in the mix as one of the best teams in the country.

Well, that's all for now. We'll have more from our round table discussion later.

No comments:

Post a Comment