Monday, May 31, 2010

Unsure

Sorry that this is a day late, and like most of us, a dollar (or more) short perhaps, but I was having entirely too much fun out on KY Lake. My weekly installment to the BBNR is being sent directly from my palatial estate located on the shores of KY Lake, just outside of Draffenville, KY (yes, it bothers me to actually want to spend time in Marshall
Co., too)

I'm sure many of you are looking at the image above and asking yourself one simple question: What in the world is that, and how can it possibly having anything to do with University of Kentucky sports(Men's basketball more specifically)?

I did a search on google images for the simple work of "Unsure," and this was the result that most caught my eye.

I'm not sure of Coach Cal. He has more than proven his metal over the last 20 years as a HC at various stops throughout college basketball. I'm not unsure of the fans of our beloved University, as they (we) become more rabid and passionate with each passing moment. I'm not unsure about our recruiting (for the first time in a decade).

I am, however, unsure about the future of the program moving forward. This might not be the most popular thing I write for the site, but sometimes it is needed to take off your blue-tinted glasses and have a look with some eyes that see things in a literal manner.

My #1 concern is this: Despite the unimaginable amounts of talent Coach Cal is able to bring in, is it enough? Now I'm not questioning if the players he is bringing in have enough talent to get us back to the mountain top-- that goes without saying or questioning. My question is, is a team that seemingly is going to have to reload nearly entirely each and every year will have the experience and mental fortitude to actually win the title.

I don't know the answer to this question, but for the time being, I'm leaning toward the negative. Yes, this may be a bit premature... but it is my belief, and that is based on over 25 years of not only watching, but breathing and living UK basketball... not only UK basketball, but all basketball.

It is my opinion that, until we are able to bring in highly skilled players who do not already think of themselves as NBA ready, merely using college as a stepping stone to their big payday, we are going to continue to see exactly what we did last year-- the most talented team in the Nation undone by facing a team in the NCAA tourney that is nowhere near as good individually, but have one common goal and game plan that we have not faced all season long.

To find more support for my opinion, all we have to do is take a look back about 20 short years ago to the team considered by most as the most beloved team in the nation, the Unforgetables. Under-sized, under-talented, but with more heart and will than any other team in the nation. Had it not been for a total fluke of a shot by the player whose name is still being burned at the stake in most corners of the Commonwealth, another Final Four banner would hang from the rafters of Rupp Arena.

While I have unbridled passion about what Coach Cal has done and will continue to do while reigning as the Pope of the Big Blue Nation, I hope that he can finally get the mixture of superstar recruit, and players in the make of Allen Edwards, young men who will do anything for the 'Cats, without fear of them leaving after a year.

No comments:

Post a Comment